You'll be happier living in Montclair than in most other suburbs - A bold statement, I know. It's subjective, but there are in fact, a three key predictors of happiness - 1. health 2. wealth and 3. social connectedness. Because of its street layout, design and diversity of housing Montclair offers opportunities to foster all three. Here are some examples.
- Many parks and sports facilities where you can exercise and meet people.
- Places to walk and bike to.
- Streets with sidewalks so you can interact with other walkers.
- Mixed-use and diverse housing styles/prices - from thrifty to extravagant.
- Good public transportation so you don't always need to take your car.
- Small, owner operated businesses - where they know you by name.
- Lots of cultural venues for music, art and entertainment
- A certain density of population so you don't feel isolated
I'm sure there are some die hard cul-de-sac fans out there as well as few Office Max aficionados. So for those of us whose suburban dream is a three car garage and good access to the mall, I propose that Montclair may not be a good fit. There's always Mt. Olive though.